Being a working mom can be overwhelming. I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling that 24 hours in a day are not enough. Getting organized will make your life much easier! Working 9 to 5 seems ideal for most, but adding a two-hour commute, along with the kids’ activities make planning ahead a MUST!! I was becoming increasingly frustrated coming home at 6 p.m. not knowing what we should have for dinner or rushing all over town to get the kids to their activities. Sound familiar? Something had to give! Here are five tips that I promise will help you feel less stressed.
1. Plan Ahead
- I make a monthly calendar for all of my dinners. But, you could plan week-to-week, if you prefer. Pick one day to go to the grocery store and get everything you need for the week.
- Two Words: Wi-Fi Crockpot. You will not regret this purchase! I leave my house at 8 a.m. and usually don’t get home until 6 p.m. Let’s be honest, food cooked in the crockpot for 10 hours, even on a low temp, is WAY too long. Ever since my purchase, I can turn my crockpot on at about 10 a.m. from the office and the meal is perfectly cooked by dinnertime!
2. Night-Before Prep
- Prepare your dinner the night before. It takes me five minutes to either throw everything in the crockpot, or in the oven when I get home!
- Clean up before bed. Nothing is worse than waking up with a sink full of dishes.
- Have the kids make their own lunches and help out with other responsibilities, as well.
- This year I began carpooling with a couple of my friends. Our children are in the same activities because we planned it that way! We take turns driving, or one drives one way and I drive the other way. This is a HUGE time saver.
4. Bills, Bills, Bills
- Utilize today’s technology! Set up all of your bills for automatic monthly payments.
- Establish a recurring payment so that the same amount is withdrawn each month, if the company does not offer automatic withdrawals.
5. Calendars are your Friends
- Create your own calendars and use them for everything. With the kids in different after-school functions, I rely on my calendars to avoid any confusion in our household. Everyone knows exactly where they need to be.
Life can be stressful enough. Follow these five organizational tips to accomplish daily tasks with ease. As the saying goes, work smarter, not harder!